Thursday, October 11, 2012

Single, Saved...not so Satisfied!

I met a young lady recently that was single, saved but not yet satisfied with her life. The more she talked the more depressed I even felt by listening. Starting a litany of reasons as to why she feels ready for love, left my mind wondering to my desired lunch. She also expressed her confusion with God... not knowing why He hasn't sent her a mate.

I had to fight back my personal feelings of offense; since this wasn't a personal attack... being that I have a different view of being a single adult that loves God.
Her frustration grew the more she described her failed relationships, and attempts at having true love. 

Get Your Mind Right

Now, although her sentiments were moving, and even border line tear jerking... I don't believe God sends us mates just because we are sad. Emotions do not move God. (If that was the case then I would have been hitched by now.) What I’ve grown to know and understand is that the more one concentrates on the fact that they are without a husband or a wife the more depressed the individual becomes.


It is a trick from the enemy. To get our minds so consumed with what we don’t have currently, that we cannot see the exciting future God longs to give us. Philippians 4:8 tells us to think on things that are honorable, right, pure, lovely, and admirable... and if the fact that you are not "currently" joined to someone is depressing you...change your thoughts!

Get out the House

I personally don't believe that there is anything wrong with dating, however if you never go anywhere to meet someone new... how can He find you...Or how can you find her? Proverbs 18:24 tells us to show ourselves friendly first...if we want friends. It would be a good idea to get up, get out and do something new. I love going to church more than a little bit... but I also go to dinners, gatherings, exhibits...other functions where people that enjoy the same things I do (and haven’t met) are there.

Originally my feelings of offense were ignited due to the automatic assumption that marriage is the final measure of success. I believe in the institution of marriage, and if it is done correctly, it is beautiful. However, the apostle Paul urges those that are single to be content with singlehood, and those that are married to be content with their married state. One is not better than the other, when we spend our time on this Earth fulfilling our God given purpose and using our God given skills there is a void that is only filled through such action not by another person.

Apostle Paul warns that if we cannot contain ourselves then it is better to marry than to burn. And I believe if one is not able to contain themselves that is another issue to be worked on. It's something called "personal growth" ... "self discipline", lets get some of that.

By the end of the conversation it was clear that I could not answer the question of why or why not... but what I can say is that there is gorgeous life full of passion and excitement that’s just waiting for you to show up. God is also waiting... if you need Him to hold you... He will, If you need Him to keep a secret...He will... if you want Him to fill your longing or void.....He will...just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment